We all need some deliciousness in our lives. Especially the kind that requires minimal effort, is truly set it and forget it. Even better if it’s something the entire family can get excited about, filled with lots of flavor and you can get some veggies into the little ones.
This. is. it.
Confession time: I love to cook and we’re in a RUT. Part of it, I think, is because I keep eating our delicious leftovers all the time for lunch, so I feel like everything is getting same-y. I’m working on it, making myself hearty salads starting this week to try and rectify things.
Until then, I’m trying to really keep my eye out for ingredients that we don’t use so much and I came to realize that chorizo is one of them! Why? Well, it’s pretty salty, and for a long time we were super diligent about the amount of salt in things, so chorizo seemed like a no-go. But now? Eh, the munchkin is now nearly 20 months and he genuinely doesn’t get a lot of salt in his diet on a typical day.
I found this recipe which I adapted to our needs, i.e. a bit less spicy (although our crazy kid will happily chow down spicy food with aplomb, only he starts crying on the afterburn. He later goes back for more. His enjoyment of spicy food alone totally proves he wasn’t switched at birth.) and less alt. If you’re not concerned about either of those things, by all means, go for the original!
Here’s what we went for though:
Chicken and chorizo slow cooker stew
Serves: 4 (2 hungry adults + 2 children)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 6+ hours on high
- 500g boneless chicken thighs
- 100g ish of chorizo (half a ring)
- 3 bell peppers (red and green were used here)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1tbsp oregano
- 1tbsp tomato purée / paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules / powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ancho chile flakes
- pinch of salt
- 300ml stock (we used homemade bone broth)
- 6 “ice cubes” of frozen, chopped spinach
Serve with: 2 minute microwavable brown rice or any kind of rice you like!
I am super lazy when it comes to slow cooker recipes. You could brown stuff up first in a pan and then transfer if you want. I understand the culinary science of the why, yet I still just throw it all in! It’s totally up to you. We got great results doing it the lazy way.
- Cut your ring of chorizo in half and then cut that section into half-moon shapes. Throw it in!
- Toss in the chicken thighs on top.
- Slice the bell peppers into long strips. We then chopped ours up into small, bite-size pieces so there weren’t big chunks of them. Our kiddo will eat them that way and not pick them out. Toss them into the pile!
- Mince the 4 garlic cloves / dice them up with the knife, into the pot they go!
- Add in the oregano, tomato purée / paste, paprika, chili powder, garlic granules / powder, black pepper, ancho chili flakes, pinch of salt.
- Boil water to make 300ml stock or add homemade/stock from carton to the crock pot. Throw the frozen spinach cubes on top.
- Turn on high (so the chorizo releases its delicious juices and doesn’t go soggy) for at least 6 hours. Stir well before serving. The chicken will shred easily if you go for that sort of thing.
- Serve with rice, microwavable 2 minute rice for the ultimate in laziness and ease!